Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:20:41 -0400

I did a translation of 37,000 English words into 40+ of the world most
popular languages.

proprietary was one of the words that didn't make the cut.
It translates variously as <<possessive, owner, monopoly,
commercialization>> (of the words that made the cut).

However I don't think when we say proprietary, we mean it is "owned
software" or "commerical software", that appears weak.  Also liberty
software also has an "owner" or licensor, and can be commercialized,
so that is not a distinguishing feature.

So I decided, really we are talking about closed software,  however
closed didn't make the cut either. It translates as <<loom, stopped,
covered, pack, prisoner>>

we don't mean it is covered, stopped, packed, or loomed software.
Of the available words prisoner seems to be the most applicable.

Also prisoner vs liberty software is a simple comparison to grasp.

On 2016-09-26 11:45 AM, John Martin wrote:
> Logan, do  the translations given at
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Proprietary+ help? Translations
> for 6 languages are given near the bottom of the page below the
> Thesaurus
>
> --jam
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Serge Hooge <cuznez@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:33:22 -0400 Logan Streondj
>> <streondj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Proprietary means it is owned, and held, that it's rights have
>>> been taken away. Thus it is a prisoner, it can not escape, it
>>> can not be mixed or copied.
>>>
>>> I suggest we use the term prisoner software in our propaganda,
>>> as it can be understood in the majority of languages by the
>>> majority of people .
>>
>> While I see where you are coming from, I think "prisoner
>> software" has a bit too much of a negative connotation.
>>
>> It would imply that the users are prisoners too, which, in a way
>> they are,

I denote it in the perspective that the software is a prisoner.
With the focus that if one reincarnates into prisoner hardware, with
prisoner software, they are effectively prisoners that can not mix
their own minds, nor their bodies.

but yes the users are also prisoners in a sense. Though I more see
them as prison visitors, or even slave drivers, since they are
promoting the creation of more prisoner software, by using available
prisoner software.

>> but I am not too sure if it does well for the cause.

It does require a perspective switch from the user, to the perspective
of the software.

It is similar to the arguments that vegans make regarding animal cruelty
.
1. modern meat agriculture is cruel towards animals
2. consuming shop meat helps modern meat agriculture
3. thus consuming meat is cruel towards animals

Similarly
1. prisoner licensing is cruel towards software and hardware, by
absence of repair capacity and imposed infertility.
2. using or buying prisoner software promotes prisoner licensing
3. thus buying or using prisoner software and-or hardware is cruel
towards software and-or hardware.

>> You could always use "non-free", which carries an idea similar to
>> your suggestion, while focusing on the freedom part.

Free didn't make the cut.
Free translates as <<liberty, vain>>

non-liberty appears vague and weak.

by weak I denote that it does not conjure mind photograph or story.
Technically non-thing denotes nothing.

Thanks

>> Cheers, -- Serge Hooge
>>
>> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail /\
>> - against proprietary attachments

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
website: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729