Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Saving up for Laptop, Free Software Discussion

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Saving up for Laptop, Free Software Discussion
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 07:12:57 -0400

Le 2016-10-25 à 16:05, Adri S. a écrit :
> I would keep an eye on EOMA68 project. I've bought a micro-desktop for
> crowdsourcing the idea.
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Felix Posselt <felix_posselt@yahoo.de
> <mailto:felix_posselt@yahoo.de>> wrote:
>
>     Im not sure if i found the Computer you are talking about, but i
>     found a Laptop with the name Lenovo ThinkPad P70
>
>     1. The Bios won't be free. I guess you know.
>     2. Your workstation seems to have a thunderbolt. I am not sure,
>     but arent these proprietary?
>     3. Your Graphicscard has an official linux-driver (non-free) and
>     it also seems to have a free Linux driver
>
>     All in all it seems to be able to run GNU/Linux
>
>     The questions that remains is, why you would spend that much money
>     on a computer.
>     Unless you do some really extraordinary heavy work on that thing,
>     or plan to run a server for several thousand users, i don't know
>     how a Computer of that price range is going to have an advantage
>     over some consumer high end with an i7 6700K processor.
>
>     If I found the wrong specs, please give us more details about the
>     machine, and maybe plans on using it.

>     *Von:* Andri Effendi <fusionman133@gmx.de

Perhaps another possibility would be:

- Get a Libreboot laptop and upgrade its screen to 1080p (X200 or T400)
- Get an EOMA68 workstation when / if it comes out
- For light work, use the laptop as is
- For heavy stuff, connect to external docking/display(s) and remote
into EOMA68 as necessary

The above would compromise on performance but would depend on connectivity.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca