Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sign petition: No operating system for devices

From: Hanno Böck
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Sign petition: No operating system for devices sold in the EU
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 21:42:47 +0100

Hello,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 12:00:37 +0000
Kees Epema <keesepema@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I have tried to draw attention in this group to a petition aimed at
> the European Parliament. The petition title is: "Computerdevices
> should be sold without operating system".

I think such demands may actually do more harm than good.

First of all I think it's totally unrealistic that what you're asking
will become true, but that's not my main problem with it. My problem is
that you're reinforcing the idea that free software is for nerds only
and not for normal users.

Many users simply don't know what an operating system is. Asking them
to buy a phone without an OS and then deciding to install one is just
an absurd idea.

I don't think the concept of free software is in principal incompatible
with usability for the average user. Our goal should be to make free
software more accessible, not to reinforce the idea that free software
will mean more nerdy tasks that no average user wants to do.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42