Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Gaming Manifesto

From: Lyberta
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Gaming Manifesto
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:00:00 +0000

Ian Kelling:
> An ethically operated game seems like a better term to
> me. A libre game sounds
> more like one with free software and free creative works. I think the
> general idea is a good one, along the lines of
> https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html, but this current
> implementation has a lot of flaws and things it's missing.

Ok, I will probably rename the document.

> The ideas about a master server seem a bit reaching and poorly defined
> to me. "it should not discriminate against modded servers." What if a
> modded server name has profanity or hate speech in it's name, or is
> objectionable in any vast different kind of ways? The master server
> should display it? No. If there is a master server, people should simply
> be able to run their own master servers, and a web search should be able
> to find them if the most prominent master server operator does not
> display the things people want.

Well, I grew up with Valve games and those allowed all kinds of mods on
their master servers. I know that it would be hard to define clear
criteria of what should be allowed and what shouldn't.

I've noticed that some games (such as Red Eclipse) are distributed under
a free license but do not allow mods on their master servers. I find it
extremely annoying because it is almost impossible to promote your own
master server because not much people play these games.

> "Modding" is not a term many people understand.

Will change to a better term.

> "All games" and "Multiplayer games" should be in a bigger font to show
> they are higher level section delimiters, it's confusing otherwise.

Done.

> The last points about how to handle proprietary code and content seem
> contradictory to earlier points that all code and content should be free.

Well some server admins add proprietary content to their servers and it
happens a lot. This situation is the same as with JavaScript.