Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Gaming Manifesto

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Gaming Manifesto
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 20:48:17 -0300

This discussion is very important indeed! Thanks for bringing this
manifesto to attention! :)

This reminds me of an awkward situation where I was looking for some
server to play a game, Xonotic server at the time, when I was still
hopeful for some Brazilian server to exist. After looking through, I
found a server near Brazil, in the public server list, that required me
to download lots of custom server content, and then I started seeing the
file names of the character models being downloaded, and saw things like
"Mr. Burns", "Dexter", "Superman", and many other known characters, I
couldn't see them in reality because I had to leave shortly, but that
kept in my head still today. Are these servers that resort to "popular"
(non-free software, and non-shareable art) a good thing for the
movement?

When I was a gamer myself, I also saw some Minetest servers resorting to
some player "skin" mods that had characters which are possibly under
default copyright licenses (e.g.: Crash Bandicoot, Naruto, and so on).

Nowadays, I no longer play games as frequently as I did back in the days.

Respectfully, Adonay.
--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com