Re: Multiple clefs in one Staff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multiple clefs in one Staff
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:46:25 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> Inspired by
>> <https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/132340/lilypond-different-clefs-for-each-voice-on-one-staff>
>>
>> Should we be offering something like that?
>
> What exactly do you mean with 'offering'?

Provide it as core functionality called with dedicated commands.

> Having this functionality is certainly useful for Piano music.
> However, it's quite rare, and an LSR snippet should be sufficient
> (possibly integrated into LilyPond's documentation).

I see that you have shown an example that repeats the clef for every
measure.  If that's the convention, the approach in my code is not
likely helpful.

If there is some common convention, that might be useful to give native
support to, to the degree where a user's source reflects mostly musical
content rather than code detracting from the readability.

On the other hand, I think I have seen some mensural(?) clef that
combined two equal-weight different clefs (possibly both C clefs on
different staff lines) in order to put two singing voices into one
staff.  That's sort of a related problem space but with a
differently-weighted solution.  I think that one would be more special,
though.