Re: Multiple clefs in one Staff

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: Multiple clefs in one Staff
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 12:19:36 +0100

On Fri, 2023-10-27 at 11:46 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > On the other hand, I think I have seen some mensural(?) clef that
> > combined two equal-weight different clefs (possibly both C clefs on
> > different staff lines) in order to put two singing voices into one
> > staff.  That's sort of a related problem space but with a
> > differently-weighted solution.  I think that one would be more
> > special,
> > though.

A famous example is Ockeghem's Missa Prolationum (in the Chigi Codex:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/327083 at pp.44-59 of the PDF) in
which each line of music encodes a mensuration canon in two voices at an
interval determined (usually) by the pair of clefs.  The first kyrie is at the
unison, the Christe at the second, the second kyrie at the third, etc.