Chord grids enhancement

From: Éric Würbel
Subject: Chord grids enhancement
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 20:29:13 +0100

Hi fellow listers

(from a long time user and enthusiast of lilypond from the very first
released version),

The recent introduction of so called "chord grids" is a long awaited
feature for me, amateur musician mainly involved in music requiring
improvisation.

In particular, the ChordGrid context allows customization of the
rendering of grid cells, and proposes a \medianChordGridStyle which
adhere to a de facto standard of harmonic grids rendering.

But this style is limited. By default, for 4/4 time signature, it only
proposes a median cut of a cell when there is one chord per quarter note
(1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 pattern). In cases like 1 chord for two beats and the
two next chords for one beat each (1/2 1/4 1/4), it rolls back to the
"diagonal" notation (and I agree with Philippe Baudoin, this notation is
a real mess).

I quickly hacked a modification (at scm level) to handle properly the
following patterns :
- 1/2 1/4 1/4
- 1/4 1/4 1/2
- 3/4 1/4
- 1/4 3/4

Which are, in the context of 4/4 jazz, the most commonly encountered.

I am currently working on Balkan music patterns with asymetric time
signatures, like 11/8, 7/8, etc, but I wait before proposing something,
because I suspect that the general problem has something in common with
the beaming grouping problem, so I want to be able to propose something
consistent with the automatic beam grouping approach.

How can submit a patch ? forking the master branch and submitting a pull
request ?

Thank you.

Regards.

Éric