Re: Error with make doc

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Error with make doc
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:41:16 -0700

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 4:34 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> Please read this and check whether you are affected by this
> >> problem.  In case you can confirm the issue please try whether it
> >> works if you omit the `-l` option in all `cp` calls in my patch.
> >
> > I checked -- the results of the problem were different for me than
> > for the bug report.  I got the error message, but the hard link was
> > never copied (there were not two files with the same inode -- only
> > the original file.
>
> OK, so there is indeed a problem with `cp -l` on your macOS.  It's
> still hard to believe.

Yes, and apparently it's a new bug (older versions of the OS didn't have
it, IIUC).

> BTW, which macOS version are you using?

 Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

> > I omitted the '-l' option in the cp calls in the patch.
> >
> > 'make doc' succeeded without any errors, so I thought I had success.  But
> > it turns out that
> >
> > a) I appear not to have the .css files copied (at least the output
> >    showed no css -- just basic white screen), and
> > b) I appear not to have the image files copied (there are no images
> >    that show up in any of the pages accessible from
> >    www-out/offline-root).
>
> It seems that my patch doesn't work as expected, or that I have missed
> something.  As usual, please start from scratch and run the standard
> incantation (or your adapted variation of it)
>

> ```
> ./configure
> make bytecode -j12
> make doc -j12 CPU_COUNT=12 LANGS="en"
> ```
>
> (please tell me what git commit you are using so that I can try
> exactly the same setup).  After finishing, please call
>
> ```
> find . | gzip > find.log.gz
> ```
>
> in your build directory and send me the file *privately* for further
> inspection (it's about 750kByte compressed – listing approx. 160000
> files) and of no real interest to other readers of this list).

I will do this today.

> > Does it make sense to try again with the xargs part of the patch,
> > but using the GNU cp and find?
>
> For you personally, it certainly makes sense so that you get a
> successful build.  For the LilyPond project, however, I think it's
> best to use native OS tools so that the number of additional
> requisites stays as small as possible.

I tried with the xargs part  of the patch, with the GNU cp and find.  It
executed sucessfully (no errors).  But it also had no css on the resulting
index.html.

I viewed the source of index.html.  It referenced the css from
css/lilypond-website.css, but there was no 'css' directory in
build/out-www/offline-root/.   I tried copying the css directory from
lilypond/Documentation to build/out-www/offline-root, but still didn't get
a properly styled webpage.

Thanks,

Carl