Re: [RFC] Transition to Guile 3.0

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: [RFC] Transition to Guile 3.0
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:40:50 +0200

Am 01.04.2024 um 22:03 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development:
This is now up for review in the following merge request:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/2293

As pointed out by Han-Wen in November, this is actually fairly little
code that gets dropped; we need to keep some related to optimizations
for compatibility with 3.0.0 up to 3.0.2; see also below.
Just to share some numbers: It is still the case with current Guile master,
that bytecode compilation is nearly 10x slower with the default
optimization level than
with optimizations switched off.

make bytecode with default optimization level:
real    2m0,875s
user    1m59,989s
sys    0m0,796s

make bytecode without optimizations:
real    0m16,535s
user    0m14,209s
sys    0m0,810s

What concerns LilyPond processing speed, I did a comparison with the
medium-sized score
I also used for the JIT vs. non-JIT timings on Windows and got for 10
subsequent runs:

Without optimizations:
real    9m1,511s
user    8m52,375s
sys    0m11,423s

With default optimization level:
real    8m34,762s
user    8m23,027s
sys    0m14,562s

That would be -5% in compilation time. Does not pay off, I think.

Michael