Guidance needed in creating a branch

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Guidance needed in creating a branch
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:51:26 -0600

As in the subject, I'm trying to get back into documentation work, after 13-14 years or so. I've followed the CG section 3.1, to the point where I have a fork of master on gitlab, a clone of master on my local machine, and a local branch (ottava) with the edited file.

I see that developers have branches on gitlab, showing as origin/dev//username/; I gather that this is The Way It's DoneĀ®, but I can't find direction in CG as to how to create such a branch. Is it as simple as, e.g. git push -u origin dev/cpkc/ottava?

Any guidanceĀ  (and patience as I fumble through the process!) will be gratefully received, and I'll probably propose updates to the CG to capture your help.

Cheers,

Colin