Re: Guidance needed in creating a branch

From: Jason Yip
Subject: Re: Guidance needed in creating a branch
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:53:02 -0500

On 2024-04-19 12:51, Colin Campbell - cpkc.music(a)shaw.ca wrote:
I see that developers have branches on gitlab, showing as  >
origin/dev//username/; I gather that this is The Way It's DoneĀ®, but I
can't find direction in CG as to how to create such a branch. Is it as simple as, e.g. git push -u origin dev/cpkc/ottava?
During my time in last summer's GSoC, Carl (as my mentor) discussed with everyone whether dev/ branches should still be used, or personal repository forks were performed. It seems that most developers were on board with the latter option, but I'm not sure if that's still the preferred way or not since the end of my GSoC project as I haven't been as active. See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2023-05/msg00054.html

Any guidanceĀ  (and patience as I fumble through the process!) will be gratefully received, and I'll probably propose updates to the CG to capture your help.

It should be as simple as creating your local personal branch from the main branch (`git checkout -b cpkc/ottava` while in main branch), then pushing to that desired remote repository (your git command is correct).

If creating a personal GitLab fork of the repository is still the preferred way, then I suggest naming your personal GitLab fork remote name as the origin one, and the official repository as "upstream." So you can pull/fetch from "upstream", then push to origin. I even make sure I accidentally don't push to "upstream" with `git remote set-url --push upstream NULL`.

--
- Jason Yip