liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] New levels

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] New levels
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:51:31 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:42:14AM +0000, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have created some levels for Liquid War! They can be downloaded from this
> homepage:
>
> http://levels.2v1.cz/
>
> I hope you like them!
Well, I had a look at your... ...25 maps!

That's a bunch of work (**). I did not had time to play all of them yet,
but I definitely need to 8-)

However, you raise an old yet interesting question, which has been
already debated on this list, see (*) :
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/liquidwar-user/2002-07/msg00008.html
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/liquidwar-user/2002-07/msg00009.html
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/liquidwar-user/2002-07/msg00010.html
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/liquidwar-user/2002-07/msg00011.html

The point is to associate maps with textures. My first option was to
delay this feature to LW 6.x but when I see people - exactly like you -
spending time on writing LW levels and drawing the texture along with
the map, I think it's time I should do something!

So here we go again with this question.

I read in
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/liquidwar-user/2002-07/msg00009.html
the a) b) and c) suggestions I had already made, and after all I think
that mouse's solution:
"How about a combination of (a) and (b)? When the program starts, check
for a config file matching the map name. The config file could contain a
preferred texture scheme (, music, and whatever future options you
include) for the map. When cycling through the maps, load the preferred
stuff instead of (or over) the previously selected. When you move on to
a map without a scheme, reload whatever the user had selected
themselves. Take it a step further by adding a "do not use preferred
scheme" toggle so every map will use the user preference, keeping the
current method intact."
is probably the best.

Any other idea or suggestion?

Have a nice day,

Christian.

(*) BTW I lost this contributed map. I kept map3d_m.bmp but lost
map3d_t1.bmp and map3d_t2.bmp which were the textures. Anybody has them?

(**) however it will take some time before I finally include them to the
game since I wish to code the "associate map with texture" feature
before there're released. I will however make a link to your web page
soon, so that people who visit LW's site can play with them soon. Thanks
again for the maps 8-)

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___