lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Displaying a pdf live on the Fly?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Displaying a pdf live on the Fly?
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 21:58:13 -0500

If you have the "pdftotext" utility (part of my "poppler-utils"
package here on Debian), you might be able to either use it in your
mailcap

  pdftotext "%s" - | less

or create a shell-script:

  #!/bin/sh
  pdftotext "$1" - | less

and then spawn that shell-script in your mailcap file:

  application/pdf; my_pdf_to_text.sh "%s"

The quality of the output depends largely on how the PDF was created,
so I have some mostly-pure-text PDFs where it works great; and I have
some PDFs that are full of graphics and poorly laid-out that are next
to useless when piped through pdftotext.  YMMV.

-tim