Re: Problems with latest Cygwin make patch; builds OK but binary segfaul

From: Christopher Faylor
Subject: Re: Problems with latest Cygwin make patch; builds OK but binary segfaults
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:51:21 -0400

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 07:27:13PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:44:56 -0400
>>From: "William A. Hoffman"
>>
>>OK, so we got one more person to try it.   So that is three (including
>>myself).
>>I am thinking that no one else is going to try it.   Is that enough?
>>If not, I will send another email.
>
>I think another call is in order.  However, this time I suggest to say
>explicitly that _everyone_ who uses Make should try the patch, since
>the patched version supports DOS file names BY DEFAULT, without any
>optional switches.  Therefore, not only those who need these file
>names should care about the patch, but also all the rest, because we
>want to be reasonably sure the drive letter support doesn't break any
>situations where a colon is used with Posix file names.
>
>> It might also make sense to put a binary up for people to try.
>
>It's a good idea.

I think both of the above are good ideas but I wanted to clarify that I
think the reason for all of the outrage from my change was that I
inadvertantly released a version of make which understood MS-DOS paths
by default.  I kick myself now for having done this but apparently
people mistook this bug as an unbreakable contract and now expect
Cygwin's make to operate in this fashion.

So, yes, I'd still like to get more feedback about this.  Maybe I've
missed something but I think that only two of the three or four public
complainers has tried this so far.  I am going to be quite annoyed if
these people crop up after the next release of make with more
complaints.

So, again, I'd like to go slowly and carefully with this change.

cgf