RE: make-trouble from a newb: To hell with shell

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: make-trouble from a newb: To hell with shell
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:39:20 +0100

Paul Smith wrote on 03 July 2008 17:33:

> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 08:05 -0700, Uffze wrote:
>> I don't have a clue why on some lines make starts the tools directly
>> (so they work), while on other lines the tools are started via the gnu
>> shell (which uses different paths than window and results in the fact
>> that they can't be found).
>
> I can't say why the shell isn't found or how to resolve that problem,
> but I can tell you why sometimes it's used and sometimes it's not.

> So, make has a "fast path" and a "slow path".  It will examine your
> recipe line and if there are any characters in it which are deemed
> "special" (that is, seem to require a full shell to resolve, such as
> shell variables or multiple commands or whatever), then make uses the
> "slow path", which invokes a real shell and passes the command line to
> it.

  Uffze, in this case, it is because your $(OBJDUMP) rule uses "> $@" to
redirect the output to the output file.

  And the fix is probably to set your SHELL environment variable to
"cmd.exe".  Check the manual page section about "Choosing the shell".

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Choosing-the-Shell

    cheers,
      DaveK