mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] mibble suggestions

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] mibble suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 12:12:12 +0100

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 09:14, Zemian Deng wrote:
> On the last point, what I meant on caching is to cache a parsed mib file
> instance so that you don't need to re-parse the same mib again; even when
> you re instanciating another new MibLoader. Perhaps make the MibLoader class
> serializable? There is no reason to reparse std ietf mib files again and
> again. Of course allowing deleting the cached should reparse it again. Does
> this make sense?
> --zemian
>
> PS. This issue come up when everytime I run a script to parse a device mib,
> the time to load the std ietf mib is 10 times longer than just the device
> mib.

Making a serializable MibLoader (and Mib) sounds interesting.
I guess I'll look into that before the next release. As you
say, it might be a time-saver.

Regarding performance in general, I have some outstanding
issues in Grammatica (the parser generator used by Mibble).
By fixing those I suspect that Mibble parsing speed can be
improved by at least a factor 2 or 3. Unfortunately these
issues are not trivial to fix, and some are even API-
breaking, so I've been holding them off for now... :-(

Cheers,

/Per