openexr-user

[Openexr-user] PIZ compression

From: Klaus Steden
Subject: [Openexr-user] PIZ compression
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:32:41 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Just out of idle curiousity ... has anyone taken the PIZ algorithms out of the OpenEXR source and bundled them into a standalone library/software package a la bzip2, gzip, zip, etc.?

Given the power of PIZ, I am thinking it might be useful to have available on its own for use even outside the realm of digital images. Have I in my enthusiasm misunderstood its applicability to general data compression? Would it be in violation of the OpenEXR licensing arrangement? Has anyone tried this yet?

Just curious.

Klaus