openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] New Photoshop EXR plug-in

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] New Photoshop EXR plug-in
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:03:21 -0700

On Jun 28, 2007, at 5:38 PM, address@hidden wrote:

However, this brings up a question I've had for a while: What compression method does the default Photoshop OpenEXR plugin use? Is there a quick way to find this out?

It does Piz, which is the right choice for a default, particularly in Photoshop where photographic images are the norm. But I find that Zip16 is competitive in most cases and the clear winner for CG renders and things with areas of flat color. BTW, I verified Piz by opening a file in After Effects where my free AE plug-in has a little compression readout.

These days I'm also really loving the B44 + Luminance/Chroma combination. You can really crush the size of the file, usually without any noticeable artifacts. They also play back in real time using playexr.

It's lossy, so I probably wouldn't want to use it for archiving, but definitely for when I want to send an EXR through email.

Brendan