openexr-user

[Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions

From: Jim Hourihan
Subject: [Openexr-user] EXR layer naming conventions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:19:41 -0700

Hi All, I was wondering how people are using EXR layers. Especially how the layers are being named and if there are any defacto standards out there.

For example:

        channels: R G B A Z diff.red diff.green diff.blue ...

Where the diff layer has slightly different channel naming convention than the "default" layer. I assume that some of these things are a result of matching channel/layer names to shader parameters. A brief email conversation with Florian produced the idea that some sort of recommended best practices might established for layer naming, but I'm wondering if that's even feasible.

I'm also interested in whether people are using EXR to hold stereo pairs and if so how.

Thanks.

        -Jim