pan-devel

[Pan-devel] GMime and header wrapping changes

From: Jeffrey Stedfast
Subject: [Pan-devel] GMime and header wrapping changes
Date: 21 Nov 2002 20:59:43 -0500

There was a bug in Pan about GMime wrapping the Message-Id header and
some news servers not accepting it. The work around had been for Pan to
call g_mime_header_set_write_func().

I've recently changed that function name to
g_mime_header_register_writer() or some such, and have also set up
GMimeMessage to auto-magically set a no-wrap header writer function for
Message-Id. I've also setup GMimeMessage to overload the Received header
writer function to try and wrap Received headers on on the special
tokens if need be.

A few things...

1. should GMimeMessage always force these? or should I have this as an
option in g_mime_init() or something?

2. I'm a bit worried about the received writer function - found an
infinite loop in it a few minutes ago (fixed now) but I'm worried there
could be more.

3. what rfc is the Path header defined in? I presume this is News
specific? Should this be another header that doesn't get wrapped? Or...
at the very least be more smartly wrapped? I've got a few test messages
with *really* long Path's - I'm guessing it should be safe to fold at
sub-domains and/or !'s but I'm not sure.

4. ...eh, I forget :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast <address@hidden>