pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Re: Want to fix memory consumption issues

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Re: Want to fix memory consumption issues
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:51:36 -0600

Calin A. Culianu wrote:

Cool.  So if that is the case, then it makes it easier to slap a DB
backend in place, as the GUI already seems to be reading in header
information into widgets in a piecemeal fashion.. which is what one wants.
The GUI should be requesting data from the Article as it's needed for display. If it's not then I would consider that to be a bug. Right now I'm more concerned with getting the overall design right. IMHO the current division of UI and back end should be maintained, ie. the UI works through Article to get & set data. That way it should be easier to make future changes. There are also multi-threading issues to be worked out as well as how folders will be handled.

After that... the next step would be figuring out what kind of data pan
needs.  I already have some idea: it basically needs sorted lists of
articles (which can be sorted on a variety of fields), that may or may not
be threaded and that vary in threading technique from either breaking
threads if the subject changes, or keeping threads together regardless of
subejct.

Just remember that there are two type of threading in pan.
1. Thread based on Reference headers just like mail clients. This should be fairly easy. Does Pan actually break threads if the subject changes? I don't remember seeing this happen. 2. Thread/combine binaries based on subject line contents. This is more difficult and error prone, plus the multipart detection logic has changed a few times and will probably change again.