pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: ancient DB schema

From: Calin A. Culianu
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: ancient DB schema
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

These are all great ideas... but as I said in a previous post -- I am
going to just take a stab and making article header loading scale better
to large numbers of headers (my goal is for even 2 million headers to work
as well as 10,000).

Anyway, you touched upon worries that it's bad for the db schema to have
to constantly change.  You kind of alluded to the idea that it's good to
finalize a data design now rather than later.  I beg to differ.  I think
in this particular application, we have a lot of control over the user's
database, and the data is extremely transient (namely, noone is going to
care about articles that are 2 months old as they will have likely expired
anyway from the servers).  Given these factors, it is not such a
show-stopper if we have to constantly change the db schema to support new
features or a new design.. that is all stuff under our control, after
all.. and the worst case scenario is that a user has to throw out his/her
downloaded article headers and re-download.  In my opinion that isn't so
catastrophic..

-Calin