pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] DB version ready for debuging

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] DB version ready for debuging
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:19:44 -0600

kevlinux wrote:

How does the database backend improve the operation of PAN?  What are
the benefits and tradeoffs?

Back when the idea came up these were the expected benifits:
1. for those with the same groups on multpile servers the article lists
would be combined
2. decreased memory footprint (hopefully)
3. virtual servers, really just an extension of All, Subscribed, New, &
Folders.  Create your own catagories and add groups to them.
4. persistent threading & scores

Tradeoffs:
1. newsrc import becomes harder (currently not implemented)

I don't know of any others unless you count that all your servers,
groups, &overviews are stored in one file.  Since I converted grouplist
& articlelist to GtkTreeView there may be a performance issue.