pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users (20-50 connections)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users (20-50 connections)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 15:47:34 +0000 (UTC)

Rob posted on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:18:34 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Monday 05 September 2011 03:45, Nicolas Richard wrote:
>> As Duncan mentionned it, you don't even need to patch the source code:
>> you can change this in the file ~/.pan2/servers.xml
>
> And then any time you make a change to a server's settings, like
> changing the password, you have to edit the file again.

... For which a simple sed script, which you can even assign to a hotkey
(at least in kde) if you are so inclined, or even make it part of a pan
wrapper script so it runs as part of pan's startup, will work fine.

None-the-less, while I think you overstate the case, as I've stated, IMO
the GNKSA 4-connection limit should have never been added in the first
place, as by the time it was, servers by necessity had already set the
connection limits server-side, and such a patch is indeed in order, but
only after some decision has been made on what to do with GNKSA in
general.  Regardless of whether that decision is to dump GNKSA entirely,
make a single deliberate exception, or create a new version, it needs
done and the pan site's GNKSA language needs updated accordingly.  THEN
the patch will be appropriate. =:^)