pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Recent font problem

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Recent font problem
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:58:30 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:42:37 -0800 as excerpted:

> Just in the last two git pulls I've been seeing pan closing with an
> assertion in cairo, but today I also got these pango complaints:

[snipped 'em]

> I also recently 'upgraded' to gnome 3, which uses Cantarell as its
> default font.

Are you building pan against gtk3, then, or still gtk2?  The
recommendation last saw was to still build against gtk2, as the gtk3
build isn't stable yet.

Of course, if you're specifically testing the gtk3 build in ordered to be
able to report the issues and help stabilize it, go right ahead!  Just be
sure to mention the fact when you report anything. =:^)  Otherwise, tho,
for the time being, build against gtk2 even on a gnome3 system, as that's
still where the focus is.  The gtk3 build is more an exercise in seeing
that the port can be done and what it takes, at this point, as opposed to
an intention to actually expect it to run it in production.

> To add to the confusion, I just now finally updated that group without
> problem, so I dunno if I can reproduce it again.  Yesterday the
> assertion was 100% in the one problem group, but I don't recall it in
> any other groups.  I'll let you know if the problem recurs again
> tomorrow.

If you're building against gtk3, for the time being expect just this sort
of strange intermittent errors.

Now if you're still building against gtk2, that's quite a different story
indeed and definitely something to report.  But in that case, where
gnome-3 might be involved as with this Cantarell font, please mention
that you're still building against gtk2 with any mention of gtk/gnome3.