phpgroupware-docteam

[Phpgroupware-docteam] I'm here

From: brandonne
Subject: [Phpgroupware-docteam] I'm here
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:47:00 -0700

Well, I finally made it here, my home connection is down due to my forgetting
to pay it before I went on vacation, should be back up in a few days.

I still can't believe there isn't a freeware mailing list manager that works
half as well as yahoo groups does, oh well for now I guess.  Maybe a future
project for groupware.

I agree that we do need to get organized, but I don't think we have a need for
too many managers.  Josh and I have currently been doing a lot of work to get
things started.

I would propose that Josh and I continue to manage by committee, we'll develop
a list of jobs that we think need to be done.  If there is a particular part of
the documentation that you would like to work on or you have suggestions on
things that need to be done, please let us know.

As of now, here is what I see needs to be done

Adminstrative Tasks:
Develop general style guide for documentation (any tech writers on here with
suggestions?
choose directory structure
define interaction with manual app and inline documentation

Admin/Users Guide:
write manual and inline docs for each app (probably assign one person to lead
up each app)
  --attempt to install and use app
  --write up documentation on it
  --discuss documentation and any kinks you found with developer
  --discuss future changes that the developer has in mind
  --edit documentation
  --have third party use app based on documentation
  --repeat from step 2

one or more people to maintain FAQ
Translations

Developers Guide.
Maintain Developer HOWTO's
At least one person to work with developers to add/edit inline documentation
find a tool to display inline documentation (I think I have this one covered,
until the developers write thier own)
Translations

For now I'm going to work on the admin tasks and editing, as well as working on
the developer docs
I would suggest anyone else that wants to get involved pick a stable core app
and start by emailing the list and let us know which one you're doing and go
from there, I'm more than happy to provide assistance with DocBook at the tools
and style tips.

Brandon