qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU Gating CI

From: Cleber Rosa
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU Gating CI
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:38:56 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 04:42:10PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:

> This all sounds like the right thing and great progress. So yes,
> I agree that the next step would be to get to a point where you
> can give me some instructions on how to say "OK, here's my staging
> branch" and run it through the new test process and look at the
> results.

IIUC the point you're describing, we must:

 * Have the rigth jobs defined in .gitlab-ci.yml (there are some
   questions to be answered on that thread)

 * Setup machines with:
   - gitlab-runner (with tags matching OS and arch)
   - packages needed for the actual job execution (compilers, etc)

At this point, the "parallel-buildtest" command[1], would be replaced
with something like:

 - git push address@hidden:qemu-project/qemu.git staging:staging

Which would automatically generate a pipeline.  Checking the results can
be done with programmatically using the GitLab APIs[2].

Once the result is validated, you would run "git push publish-upstream
staging:master" as usual (as instructed by the script)[3].

So this leaves us with the "musts" above, and also with creating a
command line tool that uses the GitLab APIs to check on the status of
the pipeline associated with the staging branch.

> thanks
> -- PMM

Thanks for the feedback, and please please let me know if I got your
point.

Cheers,
- Cleber.

[1] -