qemu-devel

Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible

From: Warner Losh
Subject: Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 08:54:07 -0600

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 5:10 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
git submodules are awkward basically because they are an automated wget.
I don't think an explicit wget is much better ... but
looks like I'm alone in this. Oh well.

submodules are 90% of the hassles I have  in upstreaming and updating the
bsd-user stuff. They play terribly with branches, rebases, and any number of
other things and are a pain to reset at times. They are easily the most brittle,
error-prone and difficult to use feature of git.

I hate them with a burning passion. You are not alone.

Warner