qemu-devel

Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Why we should avoid new submodules if possible
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 17:15:05 +0100

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 09:24:34PM +0530, Ani Sinha wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 6:09 PM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 28/06/2022 13.14, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 12:50:06PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > IIUC there are three things we are discussing
> > > - biosbits source
> > > - biosbits image
> > > - tappy
> >
> > Oh well, I missed that part of the discussion so far since the corresponding
> > patches did not make it to the mailing list ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> >
> > Anyway, that's just another indication that it might not be the right fit
> > for inclusion into the QEMU source tree. So either download it similar to
> > (or included in) the avocado tests, or maybe another solution would be to
> > have a separate "qemu-ci" or "qemu-testing" repository for stuff like this
> > ... ?
>
> Yes, I think we should have a separate repo for all testing related
> stuff like blobs, guest images etc. Curently, some of them are in
> personal github accounts which is not idea IMHo.
>
> Bits stuff can reside in the same place.

FYI, the reason much of this is intentionally NOT under the /qemu-project
gitlab namespace is that we did not want to be responsible for distributing
arbitrary binary blobs/images. That in turn makes the QEMU project responsible
for license compliance, which is non-trivial todo correctly for much of this
stuff. As such it is highly desirable to delegate both the hosting the
binaries and source to the third party who builds it.

I agree the use of personal github accounts is not nice, but it was the
least worst solution identified.

With regards,
Daniel