qemu-riscv

Re: [Qemu-riscv] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 04/32] target/riscv: Implement riscv

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-riscv] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 04/32] target/riscv: Implement riscv_cpu_unassigned_access
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 09:57:31 +0100

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 23:17, Palmer Dabbelt <address@hidden> wrote:
> You're more than welcome to take them over.  I've got something that boots
> Linux on my unassigned_access branch (github.com/palmer-dabbelt/qemu), but I
> haven't sanitized the whole port for physical accesses and I haven't convinced
> myself that my hook implementation is correct.

Rather than doing
   if (retaddr) {
       cpu_restore_state(cs, retaddr, true);
   }

at the start of the hook I think you just want to pass 'retaddr'
as the final argument to riscv_raise_exception() instead of
using GETPC(). Other than that I think the hook itself is right.

The 'git grep' regexes in docs/devel/loads-stores.rst are handy
for finding the places where the target code is doing physical
accesses. IIRC the only ones I found with a quick scan were the
PTE loads in get_physical_address() via ldl_phys/ldq_phys, which will
now return 0 and run into the 'invalid PTE' code path. I don't
know whether your architecture requires some different behaviour
for bus errors on page table walk than that (you might want to
specifically code the error path anyway or comment it even if the
behaviour is right, to be a bit more explicit that it can happen).

thanks
-- PMM