Re: [Quilt-dev] distributing the files (was: [Quilt-cvs] quilt configure

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] distributing the files (was: [Quilt-cvs] quilt configure.ac quilt.changes)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:38:03 +0100

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:09, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 12:10:13PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 12:11, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > > In the same time, I'll update the list of scripts in po/Makefile and
> > > translate the missing strings to french. The best would be to use the same
> > > list for both ./Makefile and po/Makefile, but it would need to split the
> > > variable definition out of the ./Makefile to include those definitions in
> > > po/Makefile. That's a bigger change I do not trust myself to do since I'm
> > > not very familiar with your makefile...
> >
> > Is there a problem with using the full list of commands and scripts?
> > `bash --dump-po-strings' seems to do the right thing ...
>
> Yes, but you have to list the scripts in the QUILT_IN variable, which is
> also defined in root Makefile, thus my idea of the creation of a Makevars,
> and its inclusion in both the root Makefile and the po/Makefile. That ways,
> the po files will never lag behind in case of inclusion of new commands again.

It should also be possible to pass a variable to a sub-make with
something like:

BLUBB := hello
export BLUBB

all:
        $(MAKE) -f sub/Makefile all

> IIRC, compiled stuff goes to lib, but having hardcoded paths is not a
> sufficient reason to go there (in the spirit of the FHS). I'll try to check
> this again...

The idea of /usr/share is that it can be shared among multiple systems
which may differ in other respects (architecture, configuration, etc.).

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>
SuSE Labs, SuSE Linux AG <http://www.suse.de/>