Re: Python Gui interface

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Python Gui interface
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 17:11:44 +0000

Hi Harry,

I'm happy to hear about your interest but before you invest too much time in a
new tool,  you might want to liaise with Patrik, who's maintaining Minarca.
He'll probably be happy to help solve your issue with Debian (he's active on
this list) and avoid diluting an already small community.

Regarding the query about a progress bar,  there is no such thing because
rdiff-backup works extensively with iterators. And those iterators don't know
in advance their length a they're based on file system information. This said,
as files are sorted in alphabetical order,  you could estimate a percentage
based on their first letter or something like this.  With severity 5 and more,
you get a list of all files as they are being handled.

It never appeared to me that progress bars are more precise than what I just
suggested 😜

Hope this helps, whatever you decide,
Eric