rottlog-develop

[Rottlog-develop] Re: Just an idea I had

From: Frederic Connes
Subject: [Rottlog-develop] Re: Just an idea I had
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:25:01 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

I was thinking to improve "forceday" parameter...

That would be great !

So here's my suggestion:
- use only 2 files: rc and rotate (or any other name)

It's most like Red Hat's logrotate. Do you think it's better solution?
I'm trying to make something with new ideas... When I will see that these
ideas are not good I will change it, but for now it's time to test it...

I thought the 3 files were mandatory. I just checked they're not, so it's fine as one can only have one file if he just needs one file.

By the way, maybe the name "daily" is be a little bit confusing as this file can contain files that are only rotated once a month for instance with forceday. Maybe there could be another file, called something like "custom", that would contain the complex rules for rotating (I mean the forceday rules), and where it would be possible to say "rotate every 2 hours", "rotate every sunday", "rotate on the 15th of the month", "rotate every 3 days", "rotate each time rottlog is run", etc.

Have you read something about collate/tarcollate options?
These options permit to monthly archive a logfile containing weekly rotated
logfiles. These options works very well with my idea of three configuration
files.
What do you think about collate/tarcollate options?

I think this is very useful as it allows a "two level" log rotation.

I also thought about the following things:
- for the people rotating their files every week, it would be great to have a meta-variable that contains the number of the week in the year (1 to 52). Maybe a variable in rc could tell when a week begins (sunday, monday or other). - it would also be very useful if the "last time date" were available: I mean "last month date" in monthly, "last week date" in weekly, "yesterday" in daily. This is because if you call your rotated files with the date, maybe you don't want the date to be the date of the rotation but the date of the first logs in your files. For instance, if I call my rotated files with the number of the week, the week 1 will be rotated at the beginning of week 2, so it would be nice to be able to call the file "week1" even if we are in week 2.

See you,

Fred