Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] any need for a perl monger?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] any need for a perl monger?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:25:45 -0500

    I was just up on FSF.org and it said to email if interested in
    volunteering Perl skills for the cause.  What can I do to help out? I've
    been using Perl for over a decade at work and at play.

I don't know how to answer this volunteer, so I hope someone else will.

But it brings up something I was going to write about it.  Here is what
the gnu.org/help entry for savannah (the very top item) says now:

  are looking for technical volunteers to help handle pending project
  submissions, improve older PHP code, work on the Perl backend, and
  help with various anti-spam systems. If you can help with any of
  these items, please email us
  at <a href="mailto:address@hidden";>&lt;address@hidden&gt;</a>. Improving
  Savannah will make development easier for the nearly 3,000 free
  software projects hosted there.</li>

(Which explains why random php and perl hackers write in.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "pending project submissions" seems far
more critical to me than the other issues, and we don't give any useful
guidelines for who can help with that or what is involved.  I suggest we
clearly separate that out and discuss it in more detail.

We could do the same for the other ways to help, e.g., link to pages on
the wiki.

If it sounds ok, I'll try to write some text along those lines.

karl