Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] UPDATE: New hardware for *.savannah.gnu.or

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] UPDATE: New hardware for *.savannah.gnu.org and lists.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 21:06:59 -0600

Ruben Rodriguez wrote:
> It took a bit longer than expected, but download, frontend, internal,
> mgt and vcs.savannah.gnu.org are now running on the new server,
> sharing 32 cpu cores, 64GB ram and almost a TB of RAID10 over SSD.

Yay!  Everything is looking pretty good from my perspective.

There a few minor things such as UUIDs on swap on mgt that have spun
but those are minor and can be fixed up easily.

> vpn.savannah.gnu.org has not been migrated yet (but it is running on
> the old machine). Is it needed?

I don't know if any of us are using vpn.savannah.  I am not using it.
I actually don't think any of us are using it.  I think all of the
Savannah folks are using fencepost for access.  I will wait for Karl
and Assaf to check in but if neither of them are using it then it is
up to you what to do with it.

> The VM's are now running on kvm+libvirt, so the disk layout is a bit
> different: there are three block devices attached, a 200mb mbr+boot
> partition, the root partition, and a swap.

Sounds good.  The /etc/fstab entries need to be checked and updated
all around.  (mgt needs swap added.)  But the hosts are running so we
can do that later.  Now that we have the new host machine we can start
the migration to the new VM instances.

> This allows to install grub and to have the root partition directly
> mountable (and growable) from the host. I have not installed grub
> yet, and all machines are running with a 4.2 kernel loaded from the
> host.

Sounds good.

To get ahead of things...  For the new VMs could we have a large data
storage system on yet another disk separate from the system volume?
That is planning for yet a future move allowing us to be more flexible
on system upgrades.  Then it would be possible to simply shutdown one
VM and attach the storage volume to a different VM and boot to a new
system.  I wish we could do that now.  But of course there is plenty
of time to talk about this later.

> Note: lists.gnu.org is still being copied over.

Thank you for all of the work! :-)

Bob