Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] requirements page

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] requirements page
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 23:41:51 -0800

Savannah project has a subjective code review process, whereas submissions are
rejected based on personal opinions of reviewers. This is highly unusual for a
general-purpose code hosting service. The vast majority of hosted projects are
hosted in GitLab and GitHub, which do not evaluate code subjectively. Going
down the list of popular places, this seems to be the norm. Can you name a
general-purpose code-hosting service that has more projects than Savannah, and
allows individual admins to make judgment calls?

Subjective personal evaluations of code makes Savannah very different from the
vast sea of the gratis code hosting service, just like Savannah's refusal to
host nonfree software, do Savannah admins agree with that?

The requirements page should definitely list requirements which are very
different from those in other popular hosting services, do Savannah admins
agree with that?

Programs submitted to Savannah are required to be "generally useful" and some
other things for which there is currently no objective test; in other words,
the programs are required to be good enough in the eyes of individual Savannah
administrators, do Savannah admins agree with that?

And if so, what exactly is the reason for not mentioning this requirement on
the following page?

https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

Here's one way to keep things concise:

Non-GNU projects are reviewed by Savannah hackers, who can exercise judgment,
and are not required to accept every project submission that meets the
technical requirements listed above.

What do you think?