Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] vcs0 disk filling up, /var/cache/cgit agai

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] vcs0 disk filling up, /var/cache/cgit again
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:23:46 -0600

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > It appears that cgit when acting as a git repo caches the files passed
> > through it.  This is definitely inefficient at best because those
> > files are already locally available.  This seems to be a lot of the
> > problem.  cgit is being used inappropriately as a clone source and
> > therefore doing a lot of unnecessary work.
>
> IIUC, this can be disabled by adding
>
> enable-http-clone=0

Sounds good to me.  Testing it here makes me think it is a dumb
transport.  As you know there was some discussion about setting up the
smart transport and how bad was the dumb transport.  It doesn't make
sense to me to propagate the dumb transport after having gone to the
trouble to hassle through upgrading that on the main URL for it.

> to the config. I've added that, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
> I don't know if config changes are supposed to take effect immediately,
> or if some service is supposed to be restarted.

Hmm...  cgit is really a cgi-bin script.  I would have thought that
changes to the /etc/cgitrc file would take effect immediately.  So I
don't know.  I can definitely use web server config to affect it.

> > I am also seeing a lot of cgit snapshot activity.  Across all of the
> > projects.  Here is one example.
>
> (That is also something that can be disabled in theory, but seems
> useful, unlike the cloning thing.)

I don't see it caching those files either.  So while they generate
some resource use they aren't leaving behind a large cache.

Bob