Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please disallow www-commits in robots.txt

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please disallow www-commits in robots.txt
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 15:14:59 +0200

Hi,

the gnu/server/staging directory was created years ago because GNU
webmasters expressed the wish to have a private space where they could
play around, test and see how different styles would look in the
website. Things like where to put the nav bar, which colors to use,
where to use h3s or h4s, and the like. You can call it a sandbox or,
perhaps better, a playground.

Sometimes we also use it for text drafts. I, for example, often use it
for unfinished articles intended to be published under /education. Yes,
these things we can discuss in private mailing lists --and we do. But
after discussion, we generally upload it first to /staging for a final
clean-up, because seeing it on the screen exactly the way it would
look in the main website often reveals mistakes that were overseen
during discussion.

The staging directory is also a good place for new webmasters to try
their hand at building webpages.

In sum, this private playground is something webmasters want and need,
and search engines should have no business indexing it. Is it possible?

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education