Re: Eligibility of CC-BY-SA for documentation within a software project

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: Eligibility of CC-BY-SA for documentation within a software project
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 17:54:14 -0500

Karl Berry <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Anton,
>
>     CC-BY-SA is considered eligible for artworks, but it is not clear if
>     it is acceptable for the software documentation.
>
> Generally speaking, CC-BY-SA is not acceptable for documentation (or
> code) on Savannah, because it is not compatible with the FDL (or GPL).
> That's not an issue for artwork, but is for manuals.
>
> Is there any chance of relicensing the manual to the FDL (or compatible)?
>
> If not, we could ask rms if he'd be willing to make an exception.
> In which case, he will surely want to know what the project actually is :),
> so please advise.
>
> Thanks for considering Savannah. --best, karl.

cc-by-sa became gplv3 compatible. Still not gfdl compatible.
https://creativecommons.org/2015/10/08/cc-by-sa-4-0-now-one-way-compatible-with-gplv3/
In that light, I hope it would be allowed.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF