256 colors do not display in Midnight Commander running within Screen

From: Eric Patton
Subject: 256 colors do not display in Midnight Commander running within Screen
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:08:05 +0000

Hi,

I am having trouble getting 256 colors to display in Midnight Commander when it is running within GNU Screen. ​I can confirm that MC 256-color themes display correctly when it is run in the terminal outside of Screen (in xfce4-terminal 0.8.10  on Linux Mint 20.3).

Currently, I have 'term=xterm-256color' in my screenrc; I'm not sure if that is correct, or whether I should be using something else. It's also not clear to me whether this issue is a Screen or MC configuration problem (or both), but I thought I'd start here where the colors are correct in MC when it's run outside of Screen.

--
Eric