Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #31794] GIT repo failures in configure on Ubun

From: Petr Hluzín
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [bug #31794] GIT repo failures in configure on Ubuntu Maverick 10.10
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:14:51 +0100

Helo

On 11 December 2010 10:15, Onno Kortmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>> mela, thank you for answering the the report!
>>
>> However users compiling a source code should not need to search on how to
>> do such simple task.
> I agree, but only for a release. Remember that this is compiling from
> repository. And it is quite common that you have to bootstrap the
> autoconf/automake process with a script as it is in the repo already. I would
> even say it is standard behaviour.
>
> We could state this process more clearly on the web page describing the git
> URLs though, but I would not want to change this behaviour in the repo.

Oh, I missed that the reporter did not know he has to run bootstrap. I
believed he failed because he did not know to pass
--enable-bfd=DIRECTORY_TO_BINUTILS/BFD to ./configure
My bad. I got angry because I smelled a 'users should know
implementation details' attitude.

You are right, compiling sources from version control usually requires
executing bootstrap{,.sh}.
We might rename "bootstrap" -> "bootstrap.sh" so it is obvious it can
be and is supposed to be executed.
We might add a dummy configure script which would just print "Run
bootstrap.sh" and exit (it would be overwritten ok).

In case like this I do not know how to make it easier than that.

--
Petr Hluzin