[Simulavr-devel] Compiling Simulavr und Mac OS X

From: Mathias Kussinger
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Compiling Simulavr und Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:19:58 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to compile simulavr under OS X. I am using the latest version from
Git.
The OS is 10.9.1 Mavericks with xcode 5.0.2. The additional Unix tools come
from Mac Ports.

First I saw running bootstrap was that xcode provides a tool named libtool that
does not behave as expected.
Mac Ports provides the tools glibtool and glibtoolize. I have attached a diff
for bootstrap to use these tools if available.

Second, simulavr requires libiberty, which is not recommended anymore and
difficult to obtain. At least on this Mac I can
remove libiberty from linking without getting any unresolved symbols. I haven’t
checked the other architectures. If it is no
longer required I’d suggest to remove it from the build process.

My main problem is that I can build and install simulavr, but when I use it it
doesn’t recognize the elf file:
/usr/local/avr/bin/avr-gcc -g -O2    -Wall -mmcu=atmega128
-Wa,-ahls=test-sim.lst -I. -I../fw-avr-mega -I.. -I../../utils/aceunit/native
-DAVR_MEGA128 -D ACEUNIT_CONFIG_FILE=\"./aceunit-cfg.h\" -D F_CPU=7372800UL  -o
test-sim.elf -Wl,-Map,test-sim.map test-sim.o net_test.o system_test.o
tasks_test.o timer_test.o utils_test.o fault.o net.o netcore.o params.o sim.o
system.o tasks.o timer.o utils.o AceUnit.o AceUnitData.o FullPlainLogger.o
/usr/local/avr/bin/simulavr -d atmega128 -F7372800 -W 0x91,- -a 0x92 -e 0x93
-f test-sim.elf

FATAL: file avrreadelf.cpp: line 152: File 'test-sim.elf' isn't a elf object

make: *** [test-sim] Error 1

Testing test-sim.elf with
$ avr-readelf -a test-sim.elf
does not produce any errors. The version of simulavr is
$ /usr/local/avr/bin/simulavr -V
SimulAVR 1.1dev

It works with version 1.0.0. I have tried rebuilding of binutils and simulavr
multiple times and have no clue what to do now.
Any suggestions or hints?

Thanks,
  Mathias