Re: [Simulavr-devel] Compiling Simulavr und Mac OS X

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Compiling Simulavr und Mac OS X
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 17:08:56 +0100

Hi Mathias,

Mac Ports provides the tools glibtool and glibtoolize. I have attached a diff
for bootstrap to use these tools if available.

Diff? Maybe the list software has removed the diff. Could you attach it as text?

Second, simulavr requires libiberty, which is not recommended anymore and
difficult to obtain. At least on this Mac I can
remove libiberty from linking without getting any unresolved symbols. I haven’t
checked the other architectures. If it is no
longer required I’d suggest to remove it from the build process.

It depends mostly on used distribution. Sometimes (maybe older linux distributions) have used it and you have got a linker error, if this wasn't available. So, sometimes it's necessary to have it, sometimes not. How do you removed it from linking? Editing makefile by hand? Or do you have patched ax_avr_environ.m4?

/usr/local/avr/bin/simulavr -d atmega128 -F7372800 -W 0x91,- -a 0x92 -e 0x93
-f test-sim.elf

FATAL: file avrreadelf.cpp: line 152: File 'test-sim.elf' isn't a elf object

Looks so, that in your simulavr the used bfd lib doesn't recognize the elf file. Why? That's a good question. What bfd library is linked in? Maybe you have to declare the right bfd lib with the option --with-bfd=path in configure. (maybe it works, I know, that there sometimes problems with that and then you'll get crashes. So be careful. :-) Successful build does not mean, that it really works!)

On my todo list is to replace the bfd library by using ElfIO, because it's also a problem on MinGW/Windows. But when ...

cu, Thomas