sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] The pool is shrinking
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 15:37:52 -0400

> Hansen its 2019 not 1990 and you need to evolve your thinking beyond your own
> personal interests!

Yawn.  Call me when you've given up on the ad hominem.

> Do you think the GDPR is a bad thing?

I think it's a law enacted by a nation I'm not party to and am not
obligated to obey.  That means any and all arguments that start with
"but it's the law!" are meaningless for me and many others.  It may be
your law but it's not mine and I'm not obligated to follow it.

> Do you think people having the right to better privacy is bad?

Of course not.  But you seem to believe the GDPR is clearly a win for
the liberties of all people involved, whereas the truth is it
prioritizes one kind of liberty for one person (your right to be
private) above another kind of liberty for another person (my right to
share facts with others).

It's okay for people to disagree with the tradeoffs of liberty that are
baked into laws.  That's called political dissent, and respecting
dissent is every bit as important as respecting privacy.

Start showing some.