sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] GDPR (equine corpse)

From: Stefan Claas
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] GDPR (equine corpse)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 17:46:09 +0200

brent s. wrote:

> I'm going to anticipate what you're suggesting this solves - that only
> key owners can upload their own key by ensuring the sender matches one
> of the key's identities. There's flaws with that:
>
> 1.) You've now broken the ability to upload keys with no real
> identifiable information (i.e. no real email address), thus *forcing*
> users of a keyserver to provide personal identifiable information. This
> breaks anonymity.

Anonymity is a very important point when one likes to communicate securely
and anonymously!

For that purpose Anonymous Remailers with a Nym account are in service
for many years. It requires on the users side that he / she is familiar
with GPG, to create a Nym account.

http://is-not-my.name/

The Remailer Software itself (Mixmaster) is included in Linux distributions.
Windows users have Mixmaster clients too. One only needs a free Usenet
account to pick up messages from the News Group alt.anonymous.messages.

Then there are probably still free anonymous Tor email accounts available.

Another option would be to set-up an email to Bitmessage Gateway (like
Mailchuck) so that GPG users can submit their keys from within the Bitmessage
client to the key server via the email Gateway.

https://github.com/V07D/bitmessage-email-gateway

The other points you have mentioned, like the signer cannot upload a key,
well that's true but I wonder how you guys like then to solve the problem
with uploading flooded key material to the key servers. I think you can
not have all options, but I am all ears.

Regards
Stefan
--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
GPG: C93E252DFB3B4DB7EAEB846AD8D464B35E12AB77 (avail. on Hagrid, WKD)