spamassassin not working properly

From: Bruce Pennypacker
Subject: spamassassin not working properly
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:30:34 -0400

Hi all,

We have a RedHat linux 7.1 server running sendmail 8.12.9 that forwards inbound e-mail to an MS Exchange box. This box doesn't have any user accounts on it since it just acts as a forwarder. I'm trying to install spamassassin and spamass-milter so that we can start filtering spam. I've successfully installed spamassassin and tested it. If I log in as root or su to nobody I can run the test "spamassassin -t < sample-spam.txt > spam.out" without any problems, so I know the permissions are fine. In both cases the output shows the following headers:

As well as the longer X-Spam-Report header.

FYI, in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf I have the following:

always_add_report 0
report_safe 0
skip_rbl_checks 0
check_mx_delay 10
dns_available yes
bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
header RCVD_IN_OSIRUSOFT_COM rbleval:check_rbl('osirusoft', 'relays.osirusoft.com.') header RCVD_IN_MONKEYS_COM rbleval:check_rbl('monkeys', 'proxies.relays.monkeys.com.')

Once I verified that all this was working properly I set up spamd to run as follows:

/usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/spamd -m 10 -C /etc/mail/spamassassin -r /var/run/spamd -u nobody -x -D

When it starts up it shows the following:

debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? no
debug: ignore: test message to precompile patterns and load modules
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
debug: bayes: 31673 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 31673 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 63 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing db_seen
debug: Score set 1 chosen.
debug: Initialising learner
debug: bayes: 31673 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_toks
debug: bayes: 31673 tie-ing to DB file R/O /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_seen
debug: debug: Only 63 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing db_toks
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing db_seen
debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running uri tests; score so far=0
debug: uri tests: Done uriRE
debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=0
debug: running meta tests; score so far=0
debug: is spam? score=0 required=5 tests=
debug: bayes: 31673 untie-ing
server started on port 783 (running version 2.53)
server pid: 31673
logmsg: server started on port 783 (running version 2.53)

I have sendmail compiled with milter support (I actually already have another milter installed so I know it's been working fine) So I set up spamass-milter to run with the following:

/usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -f -p local:/var/run/spamass-milter -m -r 15 -u nobody

The milter is running, as my maillog shows, yet virtually everything that is processed results in the following:

Milter add: header: X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0 required=5.0\n\ttests=none\n\tversion=2.53 Milter add: header: X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.53 (1.174.2.15-2003-03-30-exp)

I went so far as to telnet to port 25 of my mail server and manually copy the contents of sample-spam.txt into an e-mail to a test account. It also resulted in no hits from spamass-milter. Yet when I took that mail in the test account and manually ran it through spamassassin it resulted in hits=10.4.

So it seems to me that I'm missing something here... What am I doing wrong that seems to be preventing spamass-milter from properly submitting e-mails to spamd for processing?

Thanks in advance!

-Bruce