Re: spamassassin not working properly

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: spamassassin not working properly
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 15:27:34 -0500

In the last episode (Apr 08), Bruce Pennypacker said:
> We have a RedHat linux 7.1 server running sendmail 8.12.9 that
> forwards inbound e-mail to an MS Exchange box.  This box doesn't have
> any user accounts on it since it just acts as a forwarder.  I'm
> trying to install spamassassin and spamass-milter so that we can
> start filtering spam.  I've successfully installed spamassassin and
> tested it.  If I log in as root or su to nobody I can run the test
> "spamassassin -t < sample-spam.txt > spam.out" without any problems,
> so I know the permissions are fine.  In both cases the output shows
> the following headers:
[snip]
> I have sendmail compiled with milter support (I actually already have
> another milter installed so I know it's been working fine)  So I set up
> spamass-milter to run with the following:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -f -p local:/var/run/spamass-milter -m -r  15
> -u nobody

The -u flag enables per-user rulesets by passing the recipient name to
spamc.  If you have no user accounts or prefs files on the server, just
remove "-u nobody".  I've changed the description of this switch in CVS
to make its purpose a bit clearer.

> The milter is running, as my maillog shows, yet virtually everything
> that is processed results in the following:
>
> Milter add: header: X-Spam-Status: No, hits=0.0
> required=5.0\n\ttests=none\n\tversion=2.53 Milter add: header:
>
> I went so far as to telnet to port 25 of my mail server and manually
> copy the contents of sample-spam.txt into an e-mail to a test
> account.  It also resulted in no hits from spamass-milter.  Yet when
> I took that mail in the test account and manually ran it through
> spamassassin it resulted in hits=10.4.
>
> So it seems to me that I'm missing something here...  What am I doing
> wrong that seems to be preventing spamass-milter from properly
> submitting e-mails to spamd for processing?

Hm.  Try running a test message through spamc instead of spamasassin
directly.  That will test the spamc/spamd interface.  If spamc fails,
then we know it's a spamc/spamd problem.  If spamc works, then maybe
bumping up the debug level on spamass-milter might show something
(although since it's correctly capturing the "X-Spam-Status: No"
header, it looks like it's working).

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden