high cpu utilization with spamass-milter 0.2.0?

From: Changeling
Subject: high cpu utilization with spamass-milter 0.2.0?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:44:26 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone else experienced high CPU utilization when
using spamass-milter 0.2.0?  I have been running
SpamAssassin 2.55 with spamass-milter 0.1.3a for a
couple months now on a 500mhz RedHat 9 machine.
Average CPU utilization is between 1-10% with spamd
and spamass-milter spiking the CPU to 99% very briefly
(for about a second) when processing a new email.
Yesterday I upgraded to 0.2.0 and immediately noticed
my CPU utilization average around 80-99%.  It seemed
the culprit was the spamd and spamass-milter processes
which were both consuming around 80-99% cpu for an
extended period of time (up to 30-45 seconds).  Logs
also show SpamAssassin taking about 30-45 seconds
longer to process most emails.  It eventually settled
down a little bit but would spike back up frequently.
This morning Sendmail stopped accepting connections
because the load on the machine was about 14-15 (when
using 0.1.3a it's typically about .5).  I'm able to
consistently reproduce these problems by only
upgrading spamass-milter; no other software is being
modified.  I've tried enabling debugging on spamd and
spamass-milter, but I notice nothing different in the
output than when I run 0.1.3a.  Any suggestions?

Brian