Re: high cpu utilization with spamass-milter 0.2.0?

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: high cpu utilization with spamass-milter 0.2.0?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:10:09 -0500

In the last episode (Jul 24), Changeling said:
> Has anyone else experienced high CPU utilization when using
> spamass-milter 0.2.0?  I have been running SpamAssassin 2.55 with
> spamass-milter 0.1.3a for a couple months now on a 500mhz RedHat 9
> machine.  Average CPU utilization is between 1-10% with spamd and
> spamass-milter spiking the CPU to 99% very briefly (for about a
> second) when processing a new email.  Yesterday I upgraded to 0.2.0
> and immediately noticed my CPU utilization average around 80-99%.  It
> seemed the culprit was the spamd and spamass-milter processes which
> were both consuming around 80-99% cpu for an extended period of time
> (up to 30-45 seconds).  Logs

Weird.  Could you strace either or both processes when this happens and
see what the syscall activity is?  I haven't seen spamd consume more
than 2 seconds of CPU per message on my pIII/500 and it averages .5 sec
(according to lastcomm spamd).  Spamass-milter itself takes almost no
CPU (6 CPU seconds in 6 hours).

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden